A lot of international parents have asked me to put together a list of papers that are useful to bring with you when you are moving to Stockholm. By “papers” I mean important documents that can be used to prove identity or relationships to family and spouse. This list is by no means exhaustive but it is recommended by the main agencies in Sweden, Migrationsverket, Skatteverket, Försäkringskassan and Arbetsförmedlingen.

Papers for permanent residency:

Regardless of whether or not you are an EU citizen it is best to err on the side of caution and bring everything.

If you are married:

  1. Personal ID and proof of citizenship to your home country.
  2. Proof of marriage to your spouse.
  3. Kids birth certificates.
  4. Your birth certificates.
  5. Previous 12 months worth of payslips.
  6. End of tax year certificates (proving you do not owe tax in your home country).
  7. Proof of lease or purchase of accommodation in Sweden.
  8. Proof of employment (if you have it) in Sweden for example, Company employment certificate or signed contract.
  9. Although not necessary, any health documentation you require i.e. notes on pregnancy, ongoing health issues especially in the case of children.
  10. Paperwork pertaining to any entitlements you were receiving in your home country. In the EU you are able to switch your entitlements but do ask about this at Skatteverket and Försäkringskassan.

If you are not married:

Everything above, plus proof of “common-law marriage” i.e. you have lived with your partner for over 2 years under the same roof. The proof of this comes in the form of co-signed mortgage or lease papers or co-paid utility bills.