This guide provides a checklist, questions you might need to ask and a list of important papers to bring from home. It is by no means exhaustive. Depending on your circumstances there may be some additional routes you’ll to take but the overall basics are here.

As an EU national (i.e. you are a citizen of an EU country already) you have the right to live and work in Sweden without seeking prior permission from Sweden’s immigration agency, Migrationsverket. The free movement of workers is a fundamental principle of the Treaty enshrined in Article 45 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union. Nevertheless, I would be remiss in if I didn’t recommend setting up an appointment with them or at least reviewing their recommendations online especially if you are planning on living in Sweden for more than 12 months. Everyone’s circumstances are different and there are too many cracks to fall between especially if you are moving without work or financially unsupported.

Two ways you need to register

In Sweden it is necessary for you to be registered as a resident and also on the Swedish Population Registry. Having your personnumer and your ID card don’t necessarily mean that you are registered as residing in Sweden. It’s also important you remember to  de-register from your home country by contacting your regional and national civic offices.