The Checklist 

A simple tick list of things to remember to do before and after you move to Sweden. You can The EU Member Checklist (with clickable links) here to print.

Before Moving…

  • De-register from your home country
  • Contact your local civic authority to let them know you are moving abroad and will no longer be paying local taxes
  •  Contact your national government office of residence and immigration to make them aware of your intentions to move abroad.
  • Contact banks and financial services to make them aware that you are moving abroad.
  •   Review their recommendations about free movement to Sweden for EU nationals.
  •   Depending on your circumstances, apply for permanent residency. This can be done online.
  •   If you have already moved to Sweden, make an appointment to speak with someone in person.
  •   If you are granted permanent residency, contact Migrationsverket about receiving your Permanent  Residents Card.

After Moving…

  • Register that you and your family have moved to Sweden and will pay tax.
  • Apply for your personnummer.
  • Apply for an ID card.
  • Apply for your children’s personnummer
Open a bank account
  • Swedbank
  • SEB
  • Nordea
  • Handelsbanken
  • Swish (the biggest mobile payment method in Sweden)
  • Bank ID (the most important tool for accessing all of your personal online information, online payments and sign ups)
  • Apply for Föräldrapenning (parental leave payments)
  • Apply for Barnbridrag (child allowance)
  • Apply for Vård av Barn (compensation when caring for a sick child)
  • Apply for Arbetssökande (job seekers allowance)
  • Apply for Sjukpenning (sick leave payments)
  • Register as a job seeker
  • Apply for Arbetssökande (job seekers allowance)
  • Access support if you are thinking about starting a new business
  • Where is my local Vårdcentral (GP)?
  • Where is my local Barnvårdcentral (Health visitor)
  • Where is my local Barnläkare (Paediatrician)
  • Where is my local Tändläkare (Dentist)?
  • Where is my local Akuten (Emergency Room)?