Applying for an ID card

The most used form of ID in Sweden is your ID card. It details your ID number, address and physical description.

Now that you have your personnummer you can apply for your identity card. This acts as a proof of civil registration and of identity in Sweden. You can apply for this at Skatteverket but only after you’ve received your personnummer by post.

  • Be registered in Sweden and have a personnummer
  • Over 13 years of age
  • Have a receipt for the pre-paid fee
  • Proof of ID already [passport]
  • Permission from a guardian if you are under the age of 18.

When you apply for a ID card, there are a some things you need to bring with you to Skatteverket.

  • Proof of who you are…Passport
  • Proof of payment
  • Proof of permission from a guardian if you are under the age of 18
  • Documentation from Skatteverket with your newly registered personnummer.

What is the difference between ID card and a National ID card.

More of the good stuff